Rebecca's Reviews > Midnight Never Come

Aug 02, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, past-earth
Recommended to Rebecca by: blog review by Elizabeth Bear
Read in August, 2008

Between this book and Elizabeth Bear's Stratford Man duology, I find myself wanting to learn as much as I can about Elizabeth and her politics.

The two series have a superficial similarity. Both take Edmund Spenser's metaphor of The Faerie Queen for Elizabeth I, and create a shadow faerie court ruled by a queen bound to Elizabeth. Both also play up the theme of faeries being increasingly excluded from human society thanks to the advance of human technology, involving cold iron, and the old threat of human monotheism. (Faeries were harmed by church bells and couldn't tolerate speaking the name of God.) EBear even mentioned in her blog that she refused to read the book until her two were in their final copy, lest ideas leak from the one to the other.

That being said, Midnight Never Comes felt a lot simpler, as EBear's books had a lot of politics and shades of gray, and conspiracies. That's not intended as a criticism of Midnight Never Comes -- it was a good read, and a lot less head-swimming than Blood and Iron was. I wish more details were gone into*, and the flashbacks were a bit jarring, but it's something I'd read again.

* I'd like to know more about the other kingdoms of Faerie in the world. There is only the Onyx Court beneath London, with kingdoms around Britain and the Kingdom of the Sea mentioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Never Come.