Eumachia's Reviews > iBoy

iBoy by Kevin Brooks

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from March 08 to 13, 2012

Synopsis in brief: Tom Harvey, 16 year old living on a London housing estate, has an iPhone dropped on his head from the top of a 30 storey high-rise. iPhone fuses with his brain. Tom can now access the internet with his brain. Bad things happen. Can Tom use his new powers to make things right again? Can he hold onto himself in the process?
(I suppose I should point out that there is profanity and violence throughout, including stabbings, gang rape, and murder. I'm not bothered by such things, but I know some are.)

This is one of those stories that is a good idea, and I think the question of what one would do with a personal link to the web is really interesting. I would love to read a Tom has to face the expected issues of his own morality, delusions of grandeur, personal responsibility, real-time repercussions to his actions, etc. etc. Sadly, this book does not really handle it very well. The dialogue is sometimes painful and the story seems a bit forced and formulaic. I thought the plot was too predictable to be enjoyable, apart from a few interesting points of conflict that were ultimately left as unresolved loose ends. Tom's abilities eventually advance to pseudo-superpowers in the most believable way possible, but it's all just a bit too much. Even the setting is too . . . omnipresent. Tom lives in a rough neighbourhood surrounded by poverty and Kevin Brooks never lets you forget it.

This was a disappointing read because I really wanted to like it but I couldn't get past the fact that it's not very well-written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iBoy.