Jeanette's Reviews > The Garden of Last Days

F 50x66
Mar 08, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

I have to admit to a personal bias for this author. He taught one of my creative writing classes at Emerson and he is one of those few professors that stay with you. When you can still recall lectures from over twenty years ago, you know he was doing something right.

Anyway to get back to the book, like the House of Sand and Fog, this novel reads like a train wreck, the suspense building as you plummet down a long hill, knowing that when the ride ends it will result in disaster.

Unlike the House of Sand and Fog, these characters are more from the underbelly of society. A stripper, single-parent with a three year old, a religious Arabic fundamentalist, and an estranged wife beater are the dominant characters of the story.

I had a hard time relating to these three and the glimpses inside their heads did not make them particularly likeable, and if anything made them more unlikable. Still, Dubus is a great writer and knows how to tell a story. Despite my dislike for the characters, the book kept my attention and even though the ending was somewhat predictable and expected, I don't regret my choice to read it. It definitely falls in line third behind House of Sand and Fog and his memoir Townie, but worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Last Days.