Katie's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I explained in one of my videos, my feverous excitement going into reading this book. An eerie island? abandoned home? creepy children? Count me in! Having always been a fan of horror novels, I thought this would be a perfect fit for me. If you are interested in reading this for the same reasons I was...I would unfortunately have to recommend you to steer clear.

The cover and blurb on the inside are INCREDIBLY misleading.

I can't get into why without giving the entire plot away, but suffice it to say, I was surprised, and not in the best way. If you aren't interested in horror novels, and that isn't what you wanted out of this, I do think the book is fairly entertaining. The plot is imaginative, the writing is good, and of course, the highlight of the book IS the pictures.

However, I was left feeling that the book didn't live up to the pictures' themselves (I flipped through the book and looked at them prior to reading). That picture of the two clown kids with the sting coming out of their mouths?! fuckin creepy! However, the last 3/4ths of the book gave me at least the feeling I was reading a middlegrade book, and I'm sure that's not what Riggs intended.

I should say that I really enjoyed the first 100 pages or so. I thought his description of the island and its residents was captivating. Jacob was a decent protagonist, but I felt that we never got to know his character or any of the other characters for that matter.

I think MPHFPC was a brilliant idea, but in my opinion, delivered rather poorly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

05/16/2012 page 84
24.0% 3 comments
06/27/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Jeremy Stock still enjoying it?

Katie in the end...well, you can see my review haha

Katie one thing I forgot to add in my review, the romance was one of the most poorly written parts in my opinion.

message 4: by Rae (new)

Rae I agree with you about this, I read somewhere that this is suppose to be the 1st in a series of books, if so I am curious to see where it leads.

Sanroop Ramesh I was very moved by the movie especially the giants and skeleton fighting in the snow and it felt very natural but quite an exciting journey for Jake to find his way back to Emma. Typical Tim burton movie