LJ's Reviews > Gunshot Road

Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: australia, contemporary_post_1945, male_author, mystery, mysterybookclub, police_procedural
Read in February, 2012

First Sentence: I closed my eyes, felt the ragged harmonies flowing through my head.

Emily Tempest’s new career as an Aboriginal Community Police officer starts with a new, by-the-book boss and the murder of a scientist at the Green Swamp Well Roadhouse. Emily doesn’t believe the man arrested is guilty. She believes his death had more to do with his research and sets out to find the real killer.

I enjoyed “Gunshot Road”, but not as much as the first book. I kept feeling as though there was a book missing between this and the first book in the series, as Emily’s growth seems abrupt. What bothered me even more, the author seemed to assume the reader had read the first book as there was very little character development.

There are scenes that are very painful to read. While I understand one scene of Emily wanting to leave the hospital, there’s the knowledge of the book being written by a man where the protagonist can go from beating to beating without needing time to recover. Some of the scenes seem a little too opportune.

I did like the spiritual aspect and inclusion of an environment issue, even though it slightly overwhelmed by the story. In fact, although I did like the book, I was disappointed it didn’t focus more on Emily and felt both she, and the plot in general became lost in the book being a classic beat-up, car-chase, threaten-the-protagonist story.

While I enjoyed “Gunshot Road”, I don’t know that I’ll race out to buy the next book in the series.

GUNSHOT ROAD (Pol Proc-Emily Tempest-Australia-Contemp) – G+
Hyland, Adrian – 2nd in series
Soho Crime, 2010

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunshot Road.