Julie's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2012
Read in April, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

When Ilona Andrews first announced that they would be writing a whole full length novel for Andrea, I thought: “That should be interesting. After all, Andrea is a great character.” Okay, that didn’t come across quite as I hoped… What I mean is that I didn’t particularly feel strongly either way…but now I am SO glad Gunmetal Magic was written because the book was amazing and I do believe that Andrea has the potential to rival Kate on the kick ass meter.

Andrea has always been a rock for Kate and a bit of a mystery for us. Loyal and strong, she is the perfect best friend for Kate. But little did we know that Andrea hides an extremely painful past. She was mistreated by those who were supposed to be her equals which led her to hide her true nature. For years she lived her life as a human, hiding her shifter side. A few books back in the Kate Daniels series, we discovered Andrea’s secret. In that book, her life as she knew it started falling apart. She was lost for a little while and it was disheartening to see. She’s usually the one who has it all together and here she is with no sense of purpose or real belonging! She was let go from the Order because shifters aren’t allowed to be Knights and started to work for/with Kate at her new investigation firm. Andrea is amazing at what she does but still we feel she is missing something. Gunmetal Magic is where she finds that piece of herself and it’s the story of how she comes to terms with whom and what she is.

I liked Andrea before this book and now that I’ve read all about her and witnessed her journey and observed her self-discovery, I love her. Ilona wrote an amazing character in her. She never sat around and moped…much. And even when she did, it wasn’t all about how terrible her life was and how much it sucked, it was more along the line of ‘okay, this is not the best of situations but I can make it better and let’s figure out how to do so’.

In previous books, Andrea and Raphael were starting a relationship but that didn’t work out. But neither is completely ready to let go of the other and they both want the other to know they are not forgotten. So you know what that means, right? Yes ladies and gentlemen, that means we get to see some shifter mating rituals at work. These make me laugh! The stuff these guys do to show their perspective mates how smart and cunning they are (read sneaky and conniving) is awesome. I’ll give you one little hint: purple shag carpeting. Just you wait.

Raphael was wonderful to read in this book. In the past, he’s not often taken seriously because he is a male bouda shifter and they tend to be spoiled and pampered. He is also the Alpha’s son. But you really see great depth to him this time around. I love him with Andrea and I find they are a great match.

Another character I really enjoyed was Asciano. He’s a teenager who works as an ‘intern’ at Cutting Edge. His enthusiasm is great and his attitude is hilarious. Andrea and Kate handle him very well and he responds well to them. He adds an interesting humorous element to the book – the teenage boy sort – and it works really well. And Kate and Andrea really are good role models for this boy. I am anxious to see his character grow in future books.

Roman, the volhv we met in a previous book, has quite a large role in this book and I loved him in it. His character is actually quite awesome. He can pull anything off! He’s witty and smart, amazing with his magic, can be scary yet can pull off sexy too! I would love to read more with him in the future.

Kate, Curran, Jim, Doolittle and others do make an appearance in this book but not a whole lot. This is clearly Andrea’s book. Kate is in it a little more than the others and she has some great lines. Every time I read her, I love her more. And Kate being in this book just reminds us how awesome Kate and Andrea are together. They complement each other perfectly!

We always discover new sort of mythology or folklore in the Kate books and this time around we learn a bit about Egyptian lore. I am always amazed at how much Ilona seems to know about everything! I’m assuming she does quite a bit of research but what if she doesn’t? What if she and Gordon are just naturally brilliant!? *Focus Julie, focus.* I love how Ilona takes tales from long ago and makes them fit into her stories. And I love how it’s not typically the myths and lore we see often – they use unique and very interesting versions. It’s always a treat to open up a Kate book because you never quite know what you’ll end up reading about. That is a totally cool aspect to this series.

Overall I was extremely pleased with Gunmetal Magic. After reading it, it was obvious that Andrea’s story needed to be told…and boy was it told well. Ilona Andrews writes UF perfectly. With extraordinary and unforgettable characters, lush worlds, fascinating storylines and the perfect blend of humor and emotion, they have mastered the genre. Gunmetal Magic just continues to prove this to us. It is simply stellar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

04/27/2012
35.0% "This book is freaking awesome. #thatisall" 3 comments
04/29/2012
71.0% "I just realized that I have been saying the wrong thing over and over. Um...this book doesn't take place during Magic Slays, it takes place during Magic Gifts. I just realized what I have been saying and that it's wrong wrong wrong. Oopies. Still freaking awesome though! It's taking an interesting turn and I can't wait to see where it all ends up."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C hey! what is this? novella? novel?

Julie It's a full length book. It's about Andrea and what she was up to during Magic Slays. Raphael is in it too.

message 3: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Oh wow. I'm so behind

message 4: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C The "5.5" threw me off

Julie Heather C wrote: "The "5.5" threw me off"

I know right?! It's .5 because it's not a 'Kate' book and it happens at the same time as book 5. At least that's what I think. lol

message 6: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Yeah. That just seems odd. How is it. Is Andrea interesting. Her novella was kinda blah

Julie Do you really love the Kate series Heather?

message 8: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C It's one of my favorites. But I wasn't crazy about the last Kate book

Julie Heather C wrote: "It's one of my favorites. But I wasn't crazy about the last Kate book"

Really? Hmm... I am really loving this one. Andrea is a great lead. She has a great story, is strong but not overly stubborn. (so far anyway) She's a lot like Kate yet not at the same time. If only the last Kate book is your concern, I think you'll like this one.

message 10: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Ok. Sounds good

Melindeeloo I am sooooooo envious and so glad it's good:)

message 12: by Mithrendiel (new) - added it

Mithrendiel I'm soooo looking forward to this one. :)

message 13: by Ain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ain Sunaim Oh it's a full-length novel? Wow, I can't wait to get my hands on this book and slobber all over it due to Raphael & Curran hotness~

message 14: by Mell (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mell Is it close enough now? :D

Shannon C. I love the Kate series and was a bit disappointed originally seeing that the next one wasn't about Kate but instead about Andrea. But after reading your review, I'm more excited about it! Yeah! Look forward to reading it. :)

Julie Shannon wrote: "I love the Kate series and was a bit disappointed originally seeing that the next one wasn't about Kate but instead about Andrea. But after reading your review, I'm more excited about it! Yeah! Loo..."

It's amazing. Even though it's not about Kate, it still has the same feel as a Kate book and Andrea really is a superb heroine.

message 17: by Mell (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mell Yay, thanks for the review. I'll be changing countries on that day, so I won't get to buy the book immediately, but hopefully I can get it by the end of next week. I wish a Kate book was coming out this year. :(

Julie Mell wrote: "Yay, thanks for the review. I'll be changing countries on that day, so I won't get to buy the book immediately, but hopefully I can get it by the end of next week. I wish a Kate book was coming out..."

You get a bit of a Kate fix in this book which should last you until the next book. ;)