Thomas's Reviews > Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain

Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez

Mar 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

If you have read A. Lee Martinez before then you are already aware of his writing style and know how he usually likes to have a protagonist who is a quirky sort of every man(or woman or thing) who goes on to become a hero of epic proportions and that is what I like. Here he deviates to create a straight up super villain who is coming to terms with his super villainy after having successfully ruled the Earth for awhile and is now in semi-retirement and only pops up on occasion to save the Earth. Mollusk is dubiously heroic but still one of his best protagonists yet (although I still have a soft spot for Nessy from his book Too Many Curses ). Even his pet ultrapede Snargle is loveable and seems like a shoe in for merchandising as a plushy cause really kids love stuffed animals with alot of limbs. Zala, the over-zealous Venusian warrior maiden is perfect as his foil/guard/victim. While I am sure some readers would have liked to have seen a Neptunon/Venusian romance I found the ending alot more believable. Frankly I would have read the book if only for the line "We have to destroy the radioactive brain of Madame Curie." cause that one line is deliciously ridiculous to read over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain.