Greg's Reviews > The Death of the Author

The Death of the Author by Gilbert Adair

Aug 02, 08

bookshelves: fiction, melville-house
Read in August, 2008

This book might be a great summer reading book for people who hate the books that are called beach reading. Or maybe a great book for people who hate the beach, most likely because they are kind of pale, and probably find the idea of sitting in the sand and having the sun beat down on you as a form of torture and not as an enjoyable way to spend the day. Who decided anyway that summer / beach books should be the most moronic and low grade type of fiction there is anyway? Are people supposed to get dumber when the heat rises? Or is it that one would have so little to do while sitting on the beach that one would actually enjoy having a half-baked plot that would be barely tolerable watching it in a ninety minute movie turn be dragged out for a few hundred pages, and take up more than ninety minutes of one's time.
Digression over.
This book is for people who think they are very smart because they have wasted a good portion of their lives reading people like Focault, Derrida, Baudrillard and Barthes and would now find it amusing to read a satire of French Theory, complete with Murder!!!!! I for one found it quite amusing, and would much rather read it again than sit in the sand for even one minute in the sun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of the Author.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Ok, well, they may as well shut down Goodreads right now, because that's the best review that has ever appeared or ever will appear on the site.

Greg Thank you Laura, I'm glad someone liked my little rant.

message 3: by karen (new)

karen sigghhh... i always have to solve all of lifes mysteries for you... "beach reading" as such is dumb because people who like the beach are dumb.there should be no attraction. there is sand to get in eyes and butts and mouth. there are sharks. there are fat people in speedos/bikinis. there are sharp poky shells. there is sun and sweat and mollusks. and children. and loud. and melanomas. and that pervasive smell of coconut. and greg - what else?? biiiiiirds!!

although i rather like sea glass.

Greg I hadn't thought of all those awful things at the beach, so many horrors... why would anyone want to go anywhere near one of those places?

message 5: by karen (new)

karen to read "lake news" and "the navigator"

The Crimson Fucker ...hating on people who don’t meet their esthetic or dressing standards.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Like, the ones with the swimming trunks going up their butts, you mean?

Greg Karen didn't mention anything about drinking out of a coconut, this whole beach thing keeps getting worse.

The Crimson Fucker Laura, nay, like the old orange/red skinned dude wearing nothing but tight Speedos and sunglasses, who loves to bend over to pick pretty seashells =(.

Mr. Greg, She also forgot to mention the fact that at some point one of your so called friends will start complaining that you are not having “fun” and that you need to drop that book and get into the water… cuz is so nice and warm… and fun!! And trust me they will succeed on this… and at some point you going to be part of that giant bacterial orgy that is the sea… and I think Karen already mentioned the sand that will get into every cavity of your body… but she also forgot mention that it don’t matter how many times you shower you going to be leaving sand everywhere you go for a couple of days… and when you finally manage to convince people that you are not having “fun” and finally get out of the water you going to realize (for some reason beyond your understanding) that you left your sandals next to your book and your coconut drink… meaning now you have to walk in burning sand to get back to em!!!

message 10: by karen (new)

karen i also hate seaweed...makes me stumble.

and banana - you know i am scared of umbrellas - what are you trying to do to me?? is this an all-twin beach too?? where all things are "random"?

and alfonso... well i cant say anything bad to you because you gave me a nice prezzie, and "i moved your book". so you win this match.

The Crimson Fucker That’s so undomincan of you Paper… if you cool with me you supposed to be evil!!!

message 12: by karen (new)

karen wot?? wot?? loo lift brolly pram

AACCEETTTAAAMIIINNIIPPHHIINN

message 13: by karen (new)

karen youuuuu sound like bernadette.

shes from the north you know. alabama i think.

message 14: by karen (new)

karen maybe you should stop being such a clumsy drunk. jeez. go drink some coffee milk.

message 15: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg or maybe put the beer in a carved out coconut?

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Alfonso you have added so many more awful things that I could experience at the beach. To think only twenty four hours ago I thought the beach was just a hot and sandy place, now I have all these other reasons I had forgotten about to fuel my dislike for the 'shore'.

message 17: by karen (new)

karen montauk monster.
rarrrr

message 18: by Greg (last edited Aug 03, 2008 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg

and then these things might wash up on the shore, or better yet you are swimming in the water where these things might bump into you.

message 19: by karen (new)

karen put a speedo on it.

The Crimson Fucker Greggers???? GUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

message 21: by karen (new)

karen hipsters "read" the chloe sevigny flippy book.

i cant believe you dont know the montauk monster. you foreigners come to our country and dont even take the time to learn about our urban legends or potantial hoaxes.

not to mention what we call painkillers.

message 22: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg That's the alleged montauk monster. it's pretty vile looking.

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Or Mr. Greggers.
So you did enjoy Mama Mia right Alfonso?

message 24: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Ohhhh, do you think we've flipped through that piece of garbage enough to review it?

message 25: by karen (new)

karen i havent flipped through it at all. haslyn flipped it in front of me once and said - ehhh chloe sevigny...

like the big penis book - ive managed to avoid contact with it (almost) altogether

The Crimson Fucker Paper, every time I read something you write I end up looking for typos on the dictionary…

Mr. Greg, that was low… my aunt ask me to take her man!!! How could I say no??? It was a good movie y’all!!! Damn that review is proly going to end up as my epitaph: here lies the man who enjoyed the film Mama Mia….

message 27: by Greg (last edited Aug 03, 2008 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg [image error]
This was what you were going to get on your profile. Just so you'd see it all the time.....

Third time should be a charm. Why was this so hard?

message 28: by karen (new)

karen why because i cant type?? did i make major typos? i always explain to you though... my shorthands and stupidities.

message 29: by karen (new)

karen twss

message 30: by Greg (last edited Aug 03, 2008 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Sarah, Karen sent me this which states that experts say it's a racoon.

message 31: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I threw that out there for someone to get a that's what she said out of....

message 32: by karen (new)

karen wow. passing off news i gave you as your own research. experts indeed.

message 33: by karen (new)

karen looks like i got mine out there a whole minute before you.

twss?

message 34: by karen (new)

karen haahah nice amendment. now i have to credit dana with sending it to me in the first place.

message 35: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg what would that mean? what did she get out there a whole minute earlier?

message 36: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg i didn't mean to steal your glory

message 37: by karen (new)

karen her poody?? i dunno - ask your mom

message 38: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Should I ask my mom first what a poody is?

message 39: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg That was an awful comeback.... I feel ashamed that I even typed it....

message 40: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg fourteen minutes it took me to think of that....

message 41: by karen (new)

karen plus youre like what 35?? lemme tell you about the birds and the bees, "greggers"

message 42: by karen (new)

karen gregs mom can take it.

trust me.

message 43: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg i'm only 34, you can goto my profile and see that.... two birds are evil and bees sting you when they hide inside plastic bags covering ncaa basketballs which pizza hut sold in 1996, so i know allllll about the birds and the bees, but I still don't know what a poody is.

message 44: by karen (new)

karen oh i didnt say that by accident.
and he knows that

The Crimson Fucker Please stop, y'all going to make me weak up everybody in this house if I keep laughing like a maniac...

Ayana, seriously what’s a Poody???

message 46: by karen (new)

karen a poody is what donald harington calls a vagina

message 47: by karen (new)

karen and i just noticed that earlier you called me undominican!! your comment got lost in the onslaught, but now that i see it!! you are unfrench!! j'accuse!

message 48: by karen (new)

karen thats very adult of you.... oh... and look who gets it! unless alfonso is still here... cmon mamma mia - wake it up!

message 49: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Aug 03, 2008 10:23PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker THe 69 is mine!!!!!

Ayana, I like that Fonz-ster, I like it!!! and I don’t know if you are the Poody expert around… but you are something =)

Paper, I’m really proud of all of my unfrenchness!!! I still hate them cat burners!!!

message 50: by karen (new)

karen too slow lady. i guess its the time difference and all.

and 'fonso, i say this to you: ribbit.

« previous 1