Leslie's Reviews > The Marriage Bargain

The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst

May 19, 12

bookshelves: steamy, hilarious, romance, chicklit
Read from March 08 to 10, 2012

An incredibly fun, light, humorous and sexy read!

Nick needs a wife. His late uncle makes sure of that, too as details are revealed in his will. There is a set timeline for Nick to marry, which will grant him his uncle's wealth, and we're talking millions, upon his death. Trouble is, Nick comes from a broken family with enormous dysfunctional luggage, and even though he's capable of loving women, he dosen't ever see himself falling "in love" with a any woman, much less having a family.

Alexa is Nick's sister's best friend. She grew up with Maggie and Nick and knows a thing or two about his family and Nick, personally. Alexa also had a major crush on him all those years ago when they dated for a short time in their teens. When Alexa's parents begin showing signs of serious money problems, she is determined to help them save their beloved home any way she can. It wasn't hard for Maggie to devise a plan to help out her brother and Alexa's desperate family; all in one easy transaction: Alexa will marry Nick...immediately. Seems simple enough, right? Yep, you would be mistaken.

Even though this story was predictable, the author's storytelling kept me thorougly interested and made me excited to get back to Nick and Alexa every chance I got! That says a lot about how this book was written. The reader is never in doubt as to what's going on in his or her head, (that's the beauty of 3rd person, if executed correctly), and I understood their fears, doubts and surging passion even more as the story continued. Oh, and the passion is REALLY GREAT and well timed. I was, however, slightly disappointed by the ending since it felt rushed and a tad unrealistic; although, didn't sway how much I still enjoyed the book as a whole. This is another great example of a book to grab if you're about to hop a plane or in need of a little rainy-day escape!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Bargain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tami Looks yummy!

Leslie Yes it does! I'll keep you updated! :)

Tashia Brandenburg yeah this looks good

message 4: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I have this one so keep me posted!!

Tashia Brandenburg I'm thinking I may read this next

Leslie Yay, Tashia!! Btw, I saw that you have on our FB group wall!

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Wonderful review. I was wondering why only 3 stars, until the last few sentences. Makes perfect sense. I think authors forget about the ending, until they end it and not always planned well as the book evolves.

Leslie Michelle wrote: "Wonderful review. I was wondering why only 3 stars, until the last few sentences. Makes perfect sense. I think authors forget about the ending, until they end it and not always planned well as the ..."

Yes, I think so too, Michelle. I have an author friend who admits that the end of books are always a challenge and are her weakest side of writing. (Maybe that rings true for a lot of authors?) I really did enjoy this book, though and hope you do too!!

Leslie Thank you, Michelle, for your kinds words, btw!! :)

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] You're welcome. Endings are hard anytime. I would think when a book is like a child [heard it referred that way by a few], ending would be very hard. However, as a reader, all important. What's an author to do? Very tough indeed. I guess we could cut them some slack, but it is all important to our enjoyment, so, not happening. I think this is why a book plan would be all important.

Leslie Michelle wrote: "You're welcome. Endings are hard anytime. I would think when a book is like a child [heard it referred that way by a few], ending would be very hard. However, as a reader, all important. What's an ..."

Couldn't agree with you more!! Btw, I don't know how the weather is in OK, but here in the DFW area, it's raining and cold. (I like it since our summers are HELL!) Anyway, my point is, it's going to be a GREAT weekend to read and that's exactly what I intend on doing! Yippee!! ;)

Leslie Ha, ME...nope it's was light and fun! I enjoyed it! :)

Leslie Mary Elizabeth wrote: "LOL I was teasing you ;)"

Tease all you want! You crack me up! ;)

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Leslie - here in OK, just south of OKC, it has turned cold and overcast, and I just sat down to read a bit. Took the grandgirl Easter dress shopping. We got everything but the shoes... looking at Zappos as we speak. Agree, great bookreading weather!! And, reading a really good one, so a huge plus weekend.

Anne OK Great review Leslie! As usual you've talked me into another book to add to the mountain of others.

I think Michelle has sent the cold, dreary weather up the turnpike to me in Tulsa. I'm going to use it to my advantage and get comfy and continue reading my "Outlander" chapters.

Leslie Omg, who knew I had not one, but TWO neighbors from the great state of OK!! Looks like we're all in store for a little rain and a little GOOD reading, this weekend! Thanks, Anne, for your compliment, and faith in me! I really had fun with this book and hope you do too!!

Leslie Btw, Anne, has Outlander captured you yet??? I hope???!!!

Anne OK Captured me and imprisoned me in a dark, dreary cell. Jamie is with me but not much comfort. Onward I trudge through the muck. But I think Claire may soon be upon us with help. I do hope she brings some sun and fresh air. This is a bloody nightmare!

LOL!!

Leslie Oh girl...welcome to the tragic world that IS the Outlander series! Who is holding Jamie captive at the moment? (Don't want to give too much away.)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Sounds like a fun book. I think I'll be adding it. Great review, Leslie.

message 21: by Searock (new) - added it

Searock You had me at the first line, Leslie.

Leslie Kristen wrote: "Sounds like a fun book. I think I'll be adding it. Great review, Leslie."

It's so much fun, Kristen!! Hope you like it and thanks for the compliment!! ;)

Leslie Searock wrote: "You had me at the first line, Leslie."

Hee, thank you, Searock!! I think you'll like it, too!! ;)

Catherine Cooper It was so great. I love that she self pubbed. It's not a masterpiece, but I loved it. Good review Leslie. Check The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher. I'd like to see what you think about that book. Her story is very original.

Leslie Catherinecooper wrote: "It was so great. I love that she self pubbed. It's not a masterpiece, but I loved it. Good review Leslie. Check The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher. I'd like to see what you think about that book. Her..."

Wow, thank you, Catherine!! Always looking for fun, new authors, not to mention "different" or "original" storylines!! I appreciate your taking the time to do just that! :)

Darian Such a good review, I loved everything about the book as well except for the ending. I felt like it didn't really end because it was so rushed. If, at the very least, an epilogue had been included my review would have gotten a fourth star. Still worth the read though! :)

Leslie Darian wrote: "Such a good review, I loved everything about the book as well except for the ending. I felt like it didn't really end because it was so rushed. If, at the very least, an epilogue had been included ..."

Thank you, Darian and I completely agree. An epilogue would have been good for this book! ;)

message 29: by Rina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rina HEllo there, can somebody help me to get this book? pleaseeeeee i love all the review and must have my copy

Leslie Rina, if you have a Kindle or Kindle app, you can buy it on Amazon. If you have a Nook, you have to buy it through Barnes & Noble. Does that help? :)

message 31: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Szikszai Please read my books and leave a review http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CFA80FA and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCUGMUI thank you:)