heidi's Reviews > Torch of Freedom

19026
Mar 08, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2011

Ok, you need to understand that I would probably buy collectible trading cards in this franchise. It's a spinoff of the Honor Harrington series, now with Eric Flint flavor.

When a plotty multi-character author works with another plotty multi-character author, and neither of them is unduly repressed by an editor, you get a book 826 pages long with a cast of thousands. It's kind of epic, by which we mean "Like Tom Clancy was writing space opera".

That's not to say it was bed. There were some actually interesting character bits, very Flint-y. The revulsion of the particular to the general, the development of Queen Berry and many fine other people. Swashes were buckled, mysterious agents were agenty, and the engineer was right. I enjoyed it and ripped through all 826 pages in about 5 days.

Read if: The spunky adventures of our favorite spies, teenage queens, and some random kids from a abandoned amusement park seem awesome to you. If you would buy collectible playing cards from the Honorverse. If cast of thousands does not intimidate you.

Skip if: You stopped reading Stephen King when he stopped getting edited. Casts of thousands make you itch. You haven't obsessively read every previous book at least twice.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torch of Freedom.