Shoshana's Reviews > Not Quite a Husband

F_50x66
Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: adult, romance
Read in March, 2012

I liked this one! Actually, I've liked Sherry Thomas's other romances, too (Private Arrangements and Delicious; I haven't read His at Night). It's really great when I find a romance author - especially a historical romance author - I reliably enjoy (others include Julia Quinn, Sarah Maclean, Courtney Milan, and... um... yeah, I might be stuck), because I've read enough at this point to be really really really picky. They have to be GOOD, or I won't read them anymore - even though they fill my what-to-read-when-I-don't-have-the-brain-for-anything-else niche!

Anyway, it's 1897; we've got a lady doctor, the Swat Valley Uprising, and plenty of cool disdain barely covering broken hearts roiling with lust. What else do you need in a romance novel? (Actually, I like it better when the main characters have friends, which aspect of their lives really never comes up in this book, but Bryony has a delightfully cold-but-angsty relationship with her family.)

Minus one star for potential race issues (I'm not an expert on this and I can't pinpoint, but it's about two Brits traveling through India at the turn of the century, and helping defend a British garrison against a coalition of native tribes, and though the author and even the characters are somewhat critical of the British occupation, it still feels vaguely problematic), and for not quite milking the angst to its utmost (although Bryony and Leo's interactions are pretty satisfying, actually). But still a solidly good read, and I'm grateful to Thomas for writing it.

(P.S. I can't remember the word for when people have had a falling out and don't talk to each other anymore, and it's driving me crazy! Help! It's on the tip of my brain!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Quite a Husband.