Grace Johnson's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Sep 14, 08

Recommended to Grace by: Simon Avery
Recommended for: Radiohead fans, David Lynch fans, modern Japanophiles
Read in September, 2008

I think I am someone who appreciates surrealism, vagueness, words that leave a filigree of impression and allow you to fill in from your own twisted imagination. But 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' was 600 pages of being *just* out of reach and *just* on the other side of recalling the dots that might connect to render some sense to the dream. It was bordering on frustration. There are long stretches of describing the sheer banality of the protagonist's lonely life. Of course there are also dark and interesting characters and gripping action that pushes you onward. Some of the passages about the war were so very violent and gory I had to skip them. A first for me in a book. I was most interested to finish knowing that this book was influential to Thom Yorke and that Murakami and Yorke have some sort of mutual appreciation of genius. I think the darkness and dreaminess and mystery translate better for me in a Radiohead song.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.