Jennifer Monzon's Reviews > Vampire's Kiss

Vampire's Kiss by Veronica Wolff

May 02, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012

Vampire’s Kiss is the second Installment of The Watcher’s Series and although it’s the second book it can be a stand alone. However, I am definitely picking up the first installment Isle of Night because I want to know how the second book came about.

The cover of the book is mesmerizing. I absolutely love book covers with the main character’s faces on them so that I can visualize who it is that I am reading about. I loved the colors on the book as Blue happens to be one of my favorite colors. However, I am confused as to who the man might be on the cover. Ronan? Alcantara? or McCloud? Hmmm.. that’s a question I would have to ask the author.

The characters in this novel are greatly developed, and highly likable. I was intrigued with the world that Veronica Wolff has created and couldn’t stop reading to reveal all of it’s details. We begin with Acari Drew. She’s a in her second year at the Isle of Night as an Acari and is in training to become a watcher. When her schedule gets slightly changed from fighting to dancing, serving and perfecting her German language, she perplexed. That’s until she learns that she’s about to embark in her first mission. Acari Drew’s emotions are going wild and she’s confused as ever since her mentor Ronan has distanced himself, Master Alcantara is as evil as they come but has been paying more attention to her (something she’s never experienced) and when on her mission she discovers that something she did while on her mission is the most dangerous thing she’s ever done!
Ronan is a vampire recruiter and also Acari Drew’s mentor. Drew instantly becomes attracted to Ronan because of his charming looks, but not only that. He listens to her, gives her advice and actually cares about her. Not that he’s mentioned it but just by his actions alone gives her the assumption that he truly cares about her. Although, she wished he cared about her in a different way. I liked Ronan’s character he’s reserved, honest and trustworthy.
Master Alcantara. I liked his character even though it seemed as though he’s evil. He has this sexy bad boy aura about him that makes me melt every time he’s around Acari Drew. And I wasn’t the only one. Acari Drew also felt something around this vampire. I loved the way he spoke to Acari Drew in Spanish, that sent chills up my spine. Imagine a sexy bad boy vampire and you are picturing Alcantara.

The story takes place on an Island where vampire recruiters travel around to world to get the “bad kids” and bring them to this Island. These bad kids are anywhere from kids that are or have been in Juve, abused by their parents or anything in that category. They are taken to this Island to train hard to become fierce and deadly. The boys are considered to convert into Vampires once their training is complete. The girls on the other hand are trained to become what’s known as the “Watchers”. It’s a unique story that captures your interest from the very first page. I read the book cover to cover in two days and while I wasn’t reading I was thinking about the story. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire's Kiss.