Shelley's Reviews > Black List

Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

*Genre* Thriller
*Rating* 3.0

*Review*

Scot Harvath (aka the Norseman) is back and ready for action in the eleventh installment of the Scot Harvath series. This time instead of being the hunter, he is the hunted. Someone has put him on the so called Black List as a Traitor to the country and it's up to Scot to find out who, why, and how he can stay one step ahead of those hunting for his head.

Although this is the Scot Harvath series, he is not the main player this time around. Instead, several other players like Nicholas (The Troll) and Reed Carlton of the Carlton Group play major roles in the determination and outcome of the story. For Reed, his motto of "Find, Fix, and Finish" has come home to roost and now it's his turn to spin in the wind trying to weave his way through a maze that has only one way out.

I was actually shocked to the core when a character from Thor's The Athena Project is killed off right from the very start of the book. (No I will not say who dies only that it's someone who means a lot to Scot) Not only did this person die, but a whole bunch of other characters did as well. In the book, Thor calls it "the Night of the Long Knives" which has a historical meaning. If you are a history buff and know anything about Nazi Germany and WWII, then you will understand the reference.

This novel reads as a warning to Americans who actually believe they are safe from their own governments intrusion into your lives. This includes warrantless wiretaps. Trucks driving around your cities recording private conversations. And, chips embedded in your cell phones, credit cards, drivers licenses and passports. I think that the ACLU will absolutely love this book from the stand point that they've been screaming about violations of rights since right after 9/11 happened.

Thor is often brushed aside as a right wing lunatic. Not this time around. This time I think people from both sides of the political landscape will take heed to the numerous warnings, hopefully, and become more aware of their surroundings. I will not preach to the choir over the ideas behind this book. I will only say that they are believable and not so far fetched.

*Recvd ARC Via Edelweiss for Atria/Emily Bestler Books
Expected publication: July 24, 2012
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black List.

07/10/2012
18.0% "Chapter 12 - Wow, talk about your whopper of a start to the story."
07/10/2012