05tylerk's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

U_50x66
Mar 10, 12

Read from March 08 to 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by 05tylerk (new) - added it

05tylerk I thought this was a very good book and I am glad I got a chance to read it. Part one to me was pretty boring but once you got to part two it got pretty interesting. This book is mainly about a boy that is traveling to Canada from India, and the ship that they were on is called Tsimtsum. When all of a sudden Pi, the boy who's real name is Piscine Patel, heard a loud explosion, and the ship started sinking.

He was thrown onto a raft and the top cover was half way pulled over and the crew threw him. He found out a possible reason later that because there was a hyena on the life raft. He then built a raft and tied it to the boat so that he wouldn't have to be trapped on the boat with the Bengal tiger that he pulled aboard when the ship sank.

He then began to fish and catch turtles. He then decided to open the other end of the cover, hoping that there would be a place that held supplies to help you live. He was relived when there was a supplies box.

I liked how the book was really exciting and got interesting at some points in the book. Like when they found the floating island made out of tubular seaweed that took in salt water and made it into fresh, drinkable water. But then later you find out that the island is a island that lives off of people and living organisms, he discovers this one night when he decides to sleep in a tree that was on that island. The seaweed that covered the floor turns really acidic when it gets late and burns your feet. He leaves the next day.

He then finally makes it after possibly a year of being on the sea to Mexico. Then the Bengal tiger runs off into the jungle without looking back. This upsets Pi a lot because he thinks that there should at least be a goodbye said before you leave someone.

If you want to find out the big twist that you don't expect at all then you should read Life of Pi. At first I thought it was kind of boring but then I got to part two, that changed my whole opinion about this book. It is a very good book. The last few chapters have many things that you wouldn't expect at all.