Jocelyn Cassada's Reviews > Krik? Krak!

Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat

F 50x66
Mar 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

Krik? Krak! is a stunning collection of short stories that describe the experience of Haitian women during the political turmoil and chaos of Haiti in the twentieth century. At times I found the book difficult to read because the stories were so graphically brutal and painful, but I believe it is a must read for anyone who would like to better understand the complexities of Haitian historical memory. I thought it was especially interesting that Danticat included the stories of women who live in the United States and struggle to reconcile their heritage of anguish with their new lives.

Danticat did an excellent job of communicating the beauty and grace of Haitian women amongst so much pain and suffering. The poetic language and imagery are intense and I felt like they really transported me into the realm of the story. I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially those who are fascinated by the cycle of violence in Haiti and how Haitians cope with this legacy through storytelling.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Krik? Krak!.