Kelsey's Reviews > The Compound

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: honorable-mention, fantasy-or-science-fiction, mystery, anthro-psych-socio
Read in March, 2012

I started reading The Compound last night...and I just didn't stop. I don't even know what time I finally went to bed, but there was no way I was going to sleep well without knowing what happened.
Within the first couple pages I already cared about Eli and his story. By page three my heart was beating faster and by page four I was a little teary. Few books have the power to really get to me, especially that quickly, but here is a new example.
The writing had me always thinking, always feeling like there was something to figure out, always making realizations with the characters, and never feeling disappointed when the truth would start to show itself.
The Compound is a disturbing account of human emotions; what fear, guilt, resentment, and being trapped can do to people. Each character was affected in their own ways by their awful situation, which gave a reminder to think of the characters as humans instead of just..characters..and in turn pulls you in and doesn't let go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Compound.