Bookworm1858's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, netgalley, ya-read
Read on March 08, 2012

4.5/5.

I had seen this around a little but didn't have much of an idea about its plot or characters. I love the gorgeous purpley cover and the fact that I'm not entirely sure what is going on.

I don't want to share too much as this is a book that has some surprises. If I shared any of them with you, your enjoyment might be lessened. But we can discuss the plot a little bit. Main character Alison is checked into a mental hospital after what appears to be a mental breakdown as well as confessing to murder of popular girl Tori Beaugrand. This story follows Alison as she tries to make sense of her circumstances, her discovery that she has synesthesia (a neurological phenomenon that causes a variety of perceptions such as some people seeing A as purple or to see a color when hearing a sound), and unraveling the disappearance of Tori.

I was struck most by the incredible writing. Although I do not have synesthesia, I felt that I had a strong understanding of what a person who does have it experiences. This is definitely the standout element especially as Alison is the narrator and you are in her head. If you could not connect with her, if you could not feel at least a little of what she experiences, then you would find yourself estranged from the MC.

As for those surprises mentioned, they actually did detract from my reading. They took me completely into left-field in a way I did not appreciate. I'm not sure how else the author could have handled this and there was some foreshadowing for the twist (please also see my note above about "paranormal"). I honestly cannot imagine anyone predicting what happens in about the last third of the book.

Overall: Amazingly descriptive writing pulls you into Alison's world and takes you on an exhilarating ride through her mind.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

Maree I have to say that I didn't see it going where it went.

Bookworm1858 Maree ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ wrote: "I have to say that I didn't see it going where it went."

I had no idea either; that last section is actually why this isn't a 5. I loved the writing and imagery of the beginning but all that stuff was a little to much for me.

Astraea Nyx I loooved this book, myself. I kinda like books that take you unexpected places. That said... I can TOTALLY see why it bugs people a little to have it do a complete 180. And I do think this book really flirts with that line between "unexpectedly cool" and "out of nowhere."

Bookworm1858 Astraea wrote: "I loooved this book, myself. I kinda like books that take you unexpected places. That said... I can TOTALLY see why it bugs people a little to have it do a complete 180. And I do think this book re..."

I felt like the twist was foreshadowed a little with Sanjay but the whole thing went on a bit too long for me especially after loving the beginning.