Sue's Reviews > The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: childrens, christian, fantasy, fiction, read-2012
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy

Having recently seen the film, and then after reading 'Planet Narnia', I thought it was about time I read this book which apparently I haven't read for at least twelve years. It's one I read regularly as a child, although I often used to miss out one particularly frightening chapter.

The story is about Edmund, Lucy and their irritatingly smug cousin Eustace. He refuses to believe in Narnia... until a picture comes to life and they find themselves on board the 'Dawn Treader'. There Edmund and Lucy are reunited with their old friend Caspian who is on a quest to find seven lost Telmarine lords. Their adventures take them to several islands, and eventually to the end of the world: Aslan's country.

As well as some scary parts, there is an amusing chapter about some strange creatures whose name ends up as 'Dufflepuds', a thought-provoking scene Eustace becomes less unpleasant, and a very moving final part of the story where Reepicheep leaves the ship's company to meet his fate. There's also a powerful scene where Aslan appears as a Lamb; this was the spot at which, about forty years ago, I suddenly understood the Christian metaphors contained in the series.

The writing is excellent, the story fast-paced, and the book so much better than the film. Still, if nothing else, the film should prompt more sales of this book, making it more widely available to today's young readers.

Highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.