Everyday eBook's Reviews > The Technologists

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl

Mar 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

The Draw of 19th Century America, by 'The Technologists' Author Matthew Pearl

The Technologists is a thriller revolving around the very first class at M.I.T. It is my fourth novel and my third set in Boston of the nineteenth century. I’m sometimes asked what it is about that time and place that appeals to me. I might need some psychoanalysis to answer. Like many other things in the creative process, I was drawn to the setting as much by accident and instinct as by a deliberate process. The first story I conceived as a novel, which would become The Dante Club, brought me to 1865 through historical fact – that was the year that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow gathered some friends together to help him finish his groundbreaking translation of Dante’s Divine Comedy, and that was the subject matter I wanted to pair with a mysterious story.

Though I came to it by chance, I found I enjoyed writing and researching about the nineteenth century. The more I immersed myself in it, the more I wrote in it, leading into more novels.

Though I had not planned to become such a long-running tourist to the nineteenth century, I recognize some specific elements that keep me there. I’ve always been fascinated by origins. What it was like to be the first at something. In The Technologists, the first students at M.I.T. were pioneers striving against suspicion and ridicule for this experimental new college. I even thought of calling the novel The First Class (until those X-Men stole the idea for the prequel movie about a very different school). In general, much of our modern culture and society took recognizable form in the nineteenth century, and Boston was often at the forefront. With all of those origins swirling around, there’s an endless amount of material.

Read the full article here: http://bit.ly/xOQ0gs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Technologists.