Shanna Hurd's Reviews > I Am Become Death

I Am Become Death by Rocco Ryg

Mar 08, 12

Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** In this story, three Japanese teenagers come into contact with a ring that gives them magical abilities. Chikara inherited the ring from her mother, who directed her to share the ring with her friends and use it to save the world.

While the idea behind the book is really great, the story itself did not live up to my expectations. It is set in modern day Japan, which is great, but the author kept interjecting Japanese history and explanations of the culture that had nothing to do with the story, and kept pulling me out of the story. The characters were one dimensional. They did little growing. Tough girl Chikara remained a tough girl. Gentle Renka continued to follow Chikara. Socialist Gen remained the outspoken socialist.

The beginning of the book promised that they would save the world, yet for the first 2/3 of the book, the 'villain' seemed to be the cruel and annoying classmate who happened to have the power to control people with her voice. She is a pain, but not exactly a threat to the safety of the earth. The build-up in the plot was very slow until the end. At that point, it turned out this book was merely a set-up for a second novel.

The first half of the book was slow and less enjoying to read, but the second half was a big improvement. The story was just getting good when the book ended, leaving Chikara, Renka, and Gen to save the classmate who had once been their enemy. Despite the problems with this book, I would still take a look at book two when I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Become Death.