Melissa's Reviews > Irish Girls about Town

Irish Girls about Town by Maeve Binchy

Mar 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

Full disclosure, I haven't read all the stories. I adore short stories, and the power they can have, but these just do not carry the weight short stories can.

Basically, they're all like a crappy plot for the next awful romantic comedy. The women are fairly flat characters and the men they so quickly fall for are flat as a board. A writer can accomplish a lot in a few pages, but even when the voice is interesting (like the protagonist in 'lurve gods') the story crumbles when everything is tied up so neatly, so quickly, so absolutely not how life is.

If you want some short reads that are full of fluff - this is perfect. And hey! Some folks like that and that is totally fine. We need fluff sometimes. I just found it hard to stomach.

For a book written by women, I expected more stories about women (you know, women who can talk to each other without relationships being involved all the time) - NOT how women need a man (especially a boringly hunky one), how quickly they can fall in love, and how hard PMS is.

That PMS (PMT) story, by the way, nearly threw me in to a rage fit. If I didn't know it was written by a woman, I would say it had been written by a man imagining what it's like to be a woman.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irish Girls about Town.