Kaethe's Reviews > Fixing the Moral Deficit: A Balanced Way to Balance the Budget

Fixing the Moral Deficit by Ronald J. Sider
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing the Moral Deficit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Looks very interesting!

message 2: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Doesn't it? I'm not putting "balancing the budget" on my top list of concerns these days, but doing it in a socially responsible way could sway me.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim We are in very close agreement, as usual. As I understand it, this book takes an evangelical Christian view of the socially responsible approach, applying the actual teachings of Jesus to both the moral and fiscal deficits.

Wow! That would be truly revolutionary if it took hold. Taken even somewhat literally, such an approach would shake a lot of fruit out of the trees. Examples from The Logia of Yeshua: The Sayings of Jesus:

"If you have money to lend, take no interest. Give it to someone who won't give it back."

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."

"Let anyone who has power renounce it."

message 4: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Exactly. As a curious aside, there is a strong coalition of social-justice minded Christians in Wide Awake. It would be quite a revolution if the modern doctrine of prosperity were replaced with generosity.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Exactly! Yet again you turn up an extremely interesting book idea that is completely new to me. I have the sample, and will proceed.

When Rush Limbaugh disappears because sponsors can't make money by keeping him on - or renounce the money that they could make - I will truly believe. I am setting a high bar, I know.. Until then, I will have hope, and will be happy with far less.