Juicy Fruit's Reviews > Cold Granite

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read in March, 2012

I admit, I really enjoyed this book. It's hard to tell why - after all, it follows the police procedural recipe to the letter and it's quite full of cliches and predictable events.

What drew my attention about this book, in the first place was the fact that it's set in the gloomy, grey city of Aberdeen. And indeed, the descriptions of the city and its famous weather are accurate enough and strangely vivid. However, it's hard to imagine such a small city being riddled with crime and serial killers/rapists.

The author's style is quite enjoyable and surely, he can keep you entertained. The main weakness, however, was the actual plot. I didn't find it very original, but I wished at least the events would develop in a less predictable way. Or that he strayed at least a bit from the typical police novel.

You have your typical policeman, of great merit and intelligence, but not without issues himself (thank God, this one is not an addict). You also have the required romance - the woman that he develops an interest with, but who, of course, becomes abducted by the antagonist.

The character development was good, but I felt the main character was not made likeable enough - sure enough, you get to develop some sympathy towards him, but could have the author done better? Certainly. The fact that some extremely obvious conclusions escaped him did not help at all. Instead of rooting for him, I was wondering how can he be so smart and so stupid at the same time?

One final comment to make - based on reviews and other descriptions of the book, I was left with the impression that it's quite gory and gruesome. I didn't get that impression at all from the actual book - the details are graphic, but compared to other authors, like Jo Nesbo, it's pretty mild.

All in all, I would recommend this book to whomever enjoys the type - it's catchy, but beware, the plot development is fairly predictable. I also enjoyed the setting of the book and the descriptions of the inner workings of the police. So not a very good book, but enjoyable nonetheless - hence the 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Granite.