Hannah (Jaedia)'s Reviews > Crave

Crave by Melissa Darnell

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, received-for-review, fiction, paranormal-urban-fantasy, witches, vampires
Read from March 20 to 28, 2012

Originally published on Once Upon A Time.

The first thing I want to talk about is the cover of Crave. Despite the girl on the front looking nothing like the image I have in my head of Savannah, and it being (let’s face it) a fairly generic young adult paranormal romance cover, I adore it. I know the UK cover (pictured) isn’t too different from the US edition but I just find those subtle differences enough to make it a stand out cover. The red and black is a nice contrast and the red leaves around the edges are foil embossed. It’s lovely.

As for the novel itself, I really enjoyed it. I was quite pleasantly surprised by Crave as I didn’t expect anything entirely different from any other young adult paranormal romance, and I suppose in a lot of ways it wasn’t, but the writing style pulled it up into a world of its’ own and I loved it. It is most definitely a gripping read and I adored the witchy elements in The Clann, and also Savannah’s half-witch, half-vampire genetic heritage. It’s a lot of fun discovering everything as Savannah does.

There are a lot of rather “meh” reviews around for Crave and because I’d seen so many, I had been put off a little from trying it for myself, and I suppose the issues these others have pointed out were present, however, I enjoyed it a lot and I may have missed out on a great read. My issues were with Savannah herself. The two perspective story telling method which varied between Savannah and Tristan’s viewpoints worked really well. They gave us a look into each character’s mind as we follow the developing romance between the two of them. Tristen I liked a lot as a character, but Savannah is one of those female characters that just doesn’t seem to have her head screwed on quite right. I kept wanting to shout at my book and tell her to just talk to people. Voice her issues, opinions, and everything inbetween because not doing so does nothing but cause more problems than it solves, whatever it is that she wants. Saying that, she isn’t an unloveable character and I did want to see her happy.

All in all I was pretty sad when I had to put Crave down as I was enjoying it thoroughly and I look forward to the next in the trilogy. If you’re into young adult paranormal romance, I highly recommend you check this one out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crave.

03/20/2012 page 30
7.0% "#RCCleanup: Ooh so far loving it!"
03/23/2012 page 115
28.0% "#RCCleanup: I know my progress is a tad slow but I am loving this so far! :)"
03/28/2012 page 399
96.0% "#RCCleanup: DEFINITELY finishing this today! :D"
show 3 hidden updates…