Shxrxn's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Mar 08, 2012

Read in March, 2012

He was the one I’d been waiting for, sent by the heavens to make my life infinitely better and exquisitely painful all in one fell swoop.
- Sadie
I looked over at him and knew that this was the start of my own real-life love story.
- Sadie
None of that tourist trash. We’re going to see the real America.
- Garreth
I guess even fate finds a way of destroying your hopes and dreams, leaving your heart dashed on the cruel rocks of life — just ask the poor souls in all those Greek myths.
- Sadie
what we turned out to be: buddies, pals, BFFs. Everything except the only thing I ever really wanted us to be. In love. And it kills me.
- Sadie
You can die of a broken heart — it’s scientific fact — and my heart has been breaking since that very first day we met. I can feel it now, aching deep behind my rib cage the way it does every time we’re together, beating a desperate rhythm: Love me. Love me. Love me.
- Sadie
Be still, O heart of mine!
- Sadie
I stifle a familiar sigh of longing. It would be one thing if he was completely unobtainable — gay, for example, or madly in love with some other girl — but I have no such comforting reason why we can’t make it work.
- Sadie
I wished for the same thing I always do, when I let myself wish at all. Him.
- Sadie
Finally, the Gods of Unrequited Crushes are on my side.
- Sadie
That was flirting going on right there. I’m not reading too much into something innocuous, stretching the realm of logic and reason like I’ve done a thousand times in the past.
- Sadie
The hours pass without so much as a call or text, and I sink into alistless haze of longing with nothing to do except watch An Affair to Remember and Casablanca and every other tearjerker blackand-white movie that features doomed love.
- Sadie
Melancholy is a perfectly legitimate state of mind — artists have thrived on it for centuries.
- Sadie
He’s probably off having the most fun of his life, while I’m stuck exactly where I have been for years. Not moving at all.
- Sadie
Garrett is in love. With somebody else. My heart breaks.
- Sadie
Now I know for sure. This can’t go on. I can’t keep doing this to myself, getting my hopes up so high, only to have them come crashing down. I can’t keep waiting for him to come to his senses, having my whole emotional state rest on what he decides. What if he never wakes up to how perfect we’d be together? What if I spend another year pining for him — or longer even? In a terrible flash, I see my future stretching out before me: waiting for his calls, rearranging my life around college visits, and decoding texts and instant messages like they could be something real, something true. This isn’t love; this is pure torment.
- Sadie
I know you think feelings are something we have no control over, but we do. We can control our actions, and eventually, we feel different.
- Mom
You know that thing where somebody says “Don’t think of an elephant,” and suddenly, the only thing on your mind is just that: a whole parade of elephants stomping through your thoughts?
- Sadie
Haven’t you ever adored someone, even though you knew it couldn’t work?
- Sadie
So you try, and try, to move past it and forget about them, but it’s like they’re stuck in your head — you can’t just flip a switch and stop loving them! So you hate yourself for it, because you know it’s no use, but nothing you do seems to ever make a difference.
- Sadie
Think about your best friend — how you tell them everything, how they’re the person who knows you best, all your deepest fears and insecurities. They’re the one you call when something amazing happens or when everything falls apart and you need someone to come over and watch movies and tell you that everything’s going to be OK. Your true friend has chosen you, and you them, and that’s a different kind of bond.
- Sadie
Can you really blame me for finding it so hard to let go?
- Sadie
It’s like a vacation for my soul.
- Sadie
I guess I just woke up to something that was true all along. He doesn’t feel the same way about me, and no matter how much I hope, and wait . . . well, it’s not going to happen.
- Sadie
Out here, in the bright sunshine, it seems like a new world: shiny and fresh, where maybe getting over him isn’t the insurmountable obstacle I’ve been thinking it is.
Progress. Finally.
- Sadie
I always love this first swoop into the city, when you’re hit by the rush of energy and confusion: a million people racing along in their own worlds, all in a few square miles.
- Sadie
Just because people say something’s great, it doesn’t mean you have to agree, not if you don’t actually enjoy it.
- Aiko
I feel like Columbus setting out for the New World, braving new territories with nothing but a compass and a collapsible telescope.
- Sadie
Obsession is not cute in a date, especially if they’re obsessed with someone else.
- Kayla
Denial: the ultimate coping tactic.
- Sadie
I’ll come. It could be fun.
Famous last words.
- LuAnn
I don’t do sports! I’ve always been more into the stationary arts. Sitting. Reading. Napping.
Ready to rock?
- Josh
my life filled with friendship and new adventures I’d never even considered.
- Sadie
Asphalt hurts. But not as much as abandoning your dignity.
- Sadie
you can’t underestimate a broken heart.
- LuAnn
Someone once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.
- Sadie
There is no such thing as innocence once your heart has been broken into a million anguished pieces, just remember that.
- Sadie
If I’m old, then you’re just about stumbling towards the grave.
- Sadie
After all, it’s one thing to say I’m over a guy when he’s safely out of range — over state lines and far away — but back, here in front of me, laughing, talking, touching . . . How would I fare then? Would I crumble in the face of his cuteness? Melt inside all over again at his literary musings?
- Sadie
Sadie Elisabeth Allen — a prisoner of unrequited love, no more!
- Sadie
I’ll just wait it out, plotting all the ways I could kill him.
- LuAnn
Love is a lie. It’s all doomed to end.
You can’t build your life around men because it may seem all sunshine and roses, but what happens when you realize it’s not anymore? What have you sacrificed by then?
- Dominique
They always want what they can’t have.
- Kayla
They never tell us what happens after happily ever after
Real-life relationships . . . they’re not like they are in books and movies. Life is, well, it’s a whole lot messier.
- Kayla
Feel free to reward me with massages and undying devotion.
- Josh
It’s been a blast, ladies.
- LuAnn
the world tells us that capital-L Love is epic, and all-conquering, and the meaning of everything, but on the other, it drills us with this message that we shouldn’t make any sacrifice or effort to pursue it, because that would make us weak, unempowered, desperate, silly girls.
- Sadie
Love isn’t pain. Heartbreak isn’t noble or romantic. You deserve better, so don’t ever forget.
- Sadie
Something ended tonight. Something finally finished for good.
- Sadie
I’m smarter than I look. My vast wisdom is often underestimated.
- Sadie
real love is a whole lot messier — and maybe a whole lot more fun.

1. Total detox
9. Brace yourself
10. Brave new (platonic) world
11. Moving on a.k.a. other guys
12. Old habits die hard

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.