Shelley's Reviews > Now and Then: A Memoir of Vocation

Now and Then by Frederick Buechner

Feb 17, 15

bookshelves: christianity, memoir, favorites, in-search-of-america
Recommended to Shelley by: Matt B
Recommended for: anyone, but especially Christian friends
Read in August, 2008

I think Frederick Buechner is becoming one of my favorite authors - although, I'm not quite sure I can say that yet, since I've only read two of his books. How many books by the same author must you read in order to say that? Maybe just one is enough. Anyways, my commentary won't do this memoir justice, so I'll just leave you with a few of my favorite quotes:

"To suffer in love for another's suffering is to live life not only at its fullest but at its holiest" (56).

"As a novelist no less than as a teacher, I try not to stack the deck unduly but always let doubt and darkness have their say along with faith and hope, not just because it is good apologetics - woe to him who tries to make it look simple and easy - but because to do it any other way would be to be less than true to the elements of doubt and darkness that exist in myself no less than in others" (60).

"...I suppose I will go on writing books. They never reach as wide a public as I would like - too religious for secular readers, I suspect, and too secular for religious ones - but in the end justice is almost always done in literary matters, I believe, and if they are worth enduring, they will endure" (108).

The only bummer associated with reading this book, is that I think he gave away a crucial plot element that has not yet been revealed in my reading of _The Brothers Karamazov_! Spoiler alert!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now and Then.