Jules's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jan 23, 13

bookshelves: 3-angels, 3-uf-pn, 1-nook, 2-favorite, 0-sorted, 2-complete-series, 2-new-obsession
Read from May 17 to 18, 2012, read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Jules Liked

Cynthia Hand
“I beat at him uselessly with my fists. I scream. My mind races. I'll pee on him. Puke, bite, scratch. Sure, I'll lose, but if he's going to mark me I am going to mark him, too, if such a thing is possible.”

Cynthia Hand
“Sam: "I always thought you were the most beautiful of all the Nephilim."
Meg: "That's ironic because I always thought you were the ugliest of all the angels.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, you feel like driving today?" he asks. "I don't want to walk to the bus stop. It's too cold."
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.”

Cynthia Hand
“In fact, I've essentially given up on the idea of flight altogether and accepted that I'm going to be an angel-blood who stays earthbound, a flightless bird, like an ostrich. Maybe, or in this weather, a penguin.”

Cynthia Hand
“Are you any good at it?"
"Pulling idiots out of the snow? I'm the best.”

Cynthia Hand
“Oh, come on. You eye-hump him all through British History.”

Cynthia Hand
“Silver Avalanche coming up the driveway," calls Jeffrey from upstairs.
"What are you, security?" I call back.”

Cynthia Hand
“What did you think I was?"
"A rude Hick."
"Geez, blunt much?”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm looking at you. Why are you always trying to hide how pretty you are?”

Cynthia Hand
“Insert the biggest, most awkward silence in the history of big awkward silences.”

Cynthia Hand
“Fine.” He smirks at me. “Nice to meet you, Carrots,” he says, looking directly at my hair. “Oh, I mean Clara.”
My face flames.
“Same to you, Rusty,” I shoot back, but he’s already striding away.”

Cynthia Hand
“Dude. Hot Bozo. Best nickname ever.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think the birds in the area are dying laughing watching me try not to crash.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker," I say. "I'm so glad you're still here."
I throw myself into his arms. He hugs me tightly.
"I couldn't leave," he says.
"I know."
"I mean, literally. I don't have a ride.”

Cynthia Hand
“Because if it's not her fault, it's God's, and I'm not ready to be pissed at the Almighty.”

Cynthia Hand
“What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asks me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and a red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, wanting to laugh and he hasn't even told me the punch line.
"Dam!" he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“I feel like Cinderella sitting in the middle of the road with a pumpkin and a couple of mice, while Prince Charming charges off to rescue some other chick.”

“I’m flying!”

Of course, I’m not flying so much as coasting over the treetops like a hang glider or a freakishly large flying squirrel.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "Today we ran into a mama grizzly with two cubs at the ridge off Colter Bay and Clara sang to it to make it go away."

Mrs. Avery: You sang to it?

Tucker: Her singing is that bad.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Is it okay to kiss you?

Clara: What?

Tucker: I won't get struck by lightning?

Clara: (laughs) No lightning.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: I'm glad it happened. because then I got to know who you really are.

Clara: Oh yeah? Who am I?

Tucker: A really, really spiritual, spoiled California chick.

Avery: Shut up.

Tucker: It's cool though. My girlfriend is an angel.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think he seriously believes that deflowering an angel could mean an eternity in fiery hell.”

Cynthia Hand
“Have a care, Sir Tucker, lest you find yourself in the stockades."
He scoffs and looks at Mr. Erikson. "She can't do that, can she? She's not the ruler of this class. Brady is."
...
"You could strip him of his title," suggests Brady, apparently not minding at all that I have usurped his throne. "Make him a serf."
"Yeah," says Christian. "Make him a serf. Being a serf blows."
As a serf, poor Christian has already been killed several times in our class. Aside from dying of the Black Plague on the first day, he's starved to death, had his hands cut off for stealing a loaf of bread, and been run down by his master's horse just for kicks. He's like Christian the fifth now.”

“Nice tree," he says.
That boy has unexpected depth.”

Cynthia Hand
“The backcountry signs say stuff like BEYOND THIS POINT IS A HIGH RISK AREA, WHICH HAS MANY HAZARDS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, AVALANCHES, CLIFFS, AND HIDDEN OBSTACLES, YOU MAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST OF YOUR RESCUE and I think, um, no thanks. I choose life.”
tags: life

Cynthia Hand
“She watched you wrestle Toby Jameson, who probably weighs two hundred pounds, without even working up a sweat. And she said to herself, wow, that's a good wrestler, he must be an angel.”

Cynthia Hand
“So spring break consisted of seven fun-filled days cooped up in the
house with Jeffrey, who was grounded because he’d won the Regional Wrestling
Championships”

Cynthia Hand
“Because I love you.' There. I said it. I can't believe I actually said it. People cast around those words so carelessly. I always cringe whenever I hear kids say it while making out in the hall at school. I love you, babe. I love you, too. Here they're all of sixteen years old and convinced that they've found true love. I always thought I'd have more sense than that, a little more perspective. But here I am, saying it and meaning it.”

Cynthia Hand
“Crap. No one's ever called me dorkina before. Derivative of dork. Not good.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara," he says, my name sounding different somehow when it passes through his lips. "I'll miss you.”

Cynthia Hand
“You think I'm pretty?" I ask.
"We need to stop talking," he says a little gruffly. "We're scaring the fish off."
"Okay, okay." I bite my lip, then smile.”

Cynthia Hand
“What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asks.
"I don't know," I say wearily. "Anything else you want?"
His dimple appears. "Nope," he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“You like me, Clara, he says. "I know you do.”

Cynthia Hand
“He grins. Unbelievable how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him and how rare and beautiful is that?”

Cynthia Hand
“So with my luck, I'll never make it in time to save the boy in the forest because my hair will have snagged on a tree branch a mile back.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think you must be some kind of a freak. Either that or you’re trying to
convert me to your secret horse religion.”
“Darn, you got me,” she says theatrically. “You thwarted my evil plan.”
tags: funny

Cynthia Hand
“Bug spray.” Mosquitoes never bother me, but apparently they eat Tucker alive if he forgets bug spray. So I wear it for solidarity. “All the kids wear
it,” I explain to Mom. “They say the mosquito is the Wyoming state bird.”
tags: funny

Cynthia Hand
“The look that passes between Jeffrey and Kimber right then feels like it requires a swell of cheesy music in the background. Aw, I think. Baby brother's in love. I also find this kind of gross.”

Cynthia Hand
“See, that's what I like about you, Carrots You're not fussy.”

Cynthia Hand
“I mean, what good is a women's lib if we can't use it to ask guys to dances?”
tags: humor

Cynthia Hand
“Is it okay to kiss you?” he asks.
“What?”
“I won’t get struck by lightning?”

Cynthia Hand
“You’re not . . . normal, Clara. You try to pretend you are. But you’re not. You talked to a grizzly bear, and it obeyed you. Birds follow you like a Disney cartoon, or haven’t you noticed? And for a while after you came back from Idaho Falls, Wendy thought you were on the run from someone or something. You’re good at everything you try. You ride a horse like you were born in the saddle, you ski perfect parallel turns your first time on the hill, you apparently speak fluent French and Korean and who knows what else. Yesterday I noticed that your eyebrows kind of glitter in the sun. And there’s something about the way you move, something that’s beyond graceful, something that’s beyond human, even. It’s like you’re . . . something else.”

Cynthia Hand
“Sir Tucker,” I say suddenly, interrupting Angela.
“Yeah?”
“I believe the correct response is, ‘yes, Your Majesty,”
tags: humor

Cynthia Hand
“Can we go somewhere?" I ask. "Let's go somewhere off in the woods and I'll show you."
He hesitates, of course. What if I'm an alien invader trying to lure him to a secluded place so I can suck his brains out? Or a vampire, ravenous for his blood?
"I won't hurt you." Be not afraid.
His eyes flash with anger like I've come right out and called him a chicken.
"Okay." His jaw tightens. "But I drive."
"Of course.”

Cynthia Hand
“I just need to be mad for a little while, okay? I know it might not be the most mature thing, but there it is.”