Heather's Reviews > The Age of Dreaming

The Age of Dreaming by Nina Revoyr

Sep 04, 08

Read in August, 2008

I liked this book alright. I love the subject of old Hollywood, in particular the silent days, and I loved the storylines on the racism against the Japanese (something not written about very often, at least to my knowledge), but there was one big thing that bothered me about this book. The author does name check some of the more famous stars of that day, but the characters in the book are purely fiction. That being said, two of the major characters in the book, actress Nora Milton Niles and director Ashley Bennett Tyler, are supposed to be fiction, but everything about the characters, down to minute, specific details- same events happen in the same year to the "characters", similar sounding names, the involvement they have with one another, backgrounds, etc.- completely 100% rips off real life stars of the 10s and 20s, actress Mary Miles Minter and director William Desmond Taylor. Perhaps the author could've just used the actors' real names, or, (gasp!) a whole new idea all together? Then maybe it wouldn't have seemed so, well, silly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Dreaming.