Radhika's Reviews > Sacred Games

Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

Jul 28, 2007

Recommended for: Indophiles
Read in January, 2007

Really, really, really a good read. Pulled me in and kept me there despite its LOOONG length. It is almost a 1000 pages. But so well written. I love complex interwoven stories, stories from which other stories emerge. Despite not meeting characters for whole chapters, you recollect them easily. The portraits are quite nice but Bombay and its messy feelings run through the whole novel. It is replete with Bambaiya which one may understand using the glossary provided at the back of the book. Lotsa filmi references to Bollywood through songs and actors. My first Chandra read. Definitely going to pick up other books of his.

Made me really sad to think that Navneet survived but was never reunited with her family despite longing for them till the end of her life and being longed for by her baby sister, Nikki. What an ironical but fitting portrayal of the absurdities of ingrained prejudices & hatred that religious differences spout even as they draw upon tenuous and imagined histories. The Guru's nuclear weapon was the least strong part of the story.

Loved it.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Games.