Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > The Boy in the Suitcase

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: librarybooks
Read from March 07 to 12, 2012

‘It was only when she reached the car park that she opened it. And found the boy.’

The story moves between Lithuania, where Sigita’s three year old son has been kidnapped, and Denmark where Nina Borg helps her friend Karin by picking up a suitcase from the public locker in the Copenhagen train station. Inside the suitcase is a naked and drugged three year old boy. Nina should have known better: helping others isn’t always in her best interests, and she and Karin have not been close friends for some time.

Who is this boy, where did he come from, and can the authorities help? Nina tries to find out more information from Karin, but when she discovers Karin brutally murdered she realises that she and the boy are also in danger. Meanwhile, in Lithuania, Sigita is having her own difficulties getting the authorities to believe that her son has been kidnapped. Who would kidnap him, and why? Is he still alive, or has he been sold into sex slavery?

‘The only key to the mystery of where the boy came from was the boy himself.’

And, unfortunately, a language barrier prevents Nina from communicating effectively with him. At the centre of this crime is a wealthy man, and this particular boy has been chosen specifically. But when the payment goes missing, the boy’s life may also be forfeit.

I found it difficult to put this book down: it isn’t very long (around 300 pages) and I wanted to know how it would end. I found that the story read more smoothly from Nina’s perspective than Sigita’s simply because the boy was with Nina, and the reader’s attention is more focussed on him.

This is the first book in a series to feature Nina Borg. I don’t think that the second book is available (yet) in English. Nina is an interesting protagonist: a Red Cross nurse who has worked in a number of world hotspots, who is married and has two children, and has her own demons.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Suitcase.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Let me know how the book is, I'm dying to read it!

Jennifer (JC-S) Anne, I will. I may even finish it today :-)

message 3: by Clara (new)

Clara Gillow Clark I'm debating whether to add this to my reading list or not. Looking forward to your recommendation.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Enjoyed your review! Jussi Adler-Olsen has his 2nd book in the Q series coming out in August 2012. I really liked his 1st, The Keeper of Lost Causes.I like these Scandinavian authors.

Jennifer (JC-S) I like Scandinavian authors as well, and you've just mentioned a new one to me. I must add his name to my ever-expanding list.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Jen, I'm currently reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg and it is good so far. I hope you like The Keeper of Lost Causes. I rated it 5 Stars.