Scotty's Reviews > Return of the Ancients

Return of the Ancients by Greig Beck

Mar 12, 12

Read from March 07 to 12, 2012

Not to be harsh, but those reviews below mine sound like planted reviews. When I worked for a hotel, my boss would do that. He'd go on travel websites and plant glowing reviews...problem is, they sounded fake. As do these 5 star reviews.

I had a hard time putting my finger on the intended audience. The main character is in his teens, but he and his classmates act like early middle schoolers. The wolf humanoids reminded me so much of furries that I literally groaned out loud when I came to their introduction. The premise is good and being a science geek, I was excited to read this book, but the characters turned me off from the get-go. They're uninteresting, childish, and lack originality.

The pacing of the book is quick but the action failed to maintain my interest long enough to keep turning the pages.

I really do hate writing bad reviews, but I'm also stricken with a streak of honesty. The childish, unoriginal characters and the furries killed this book for me.

-Munboy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return of the Ancients.

03/07/2012
31.0% "Characters are pretty boring. Story is ok...but haven't a hard time with this one...especially when I got the furries :/ (if you don't know what a furry is, it's a humanoid animal character usually saved for bad anime. In this case, wolf people...animal...things)."
03/07/2012
31.0% "Characters are pretty boring. Story is ok...but having a hard time with this one...especially when I got the furries :/ (if you don't know what a furry is, it's a humanoid animal character usually saved for bad anime. In this case, wolf people...animal...things)."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy Lessard I enjoy reading the sub-five star reviews, because they're generally more honest. No book is perfect.