Zorena's Reviews > Stephen Fry in America

Stephen Fry in America by Stephen Fry

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: travel, non-fiction, humor, memoir
Read from March 07 to 14, 2012

If you want an in depth look at the USA I suggest you find another book. However, if you want a slightly humorous and a very Fry centric view, read on!

I never for once thought that he was going to do more then touch down, do a few highlighted things for each state then move on. I wasn't disappointed. It works very well with Mr. Fry's personality. He seems to flit about in his own life, trying this and testing that and doing most of it with great relish and gusto. While short, a lot of his comments and sentiments of each state are insightful.

I was sad to see some states get short shrift such as Ohio but the time constraints must have been rigid. I also found that Stephen did indulge himself in a bit judgemental-ism despite the fact he stated he wouldn't in his introduction.

I would call this good, light entertainment while being slightly educational. All written by someone who genuinely loves and respects America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stephen Fry in America.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zorena Dove wrote: "May I ask for a quick description of what he thought of Washington, Oregon, and California?"

I try not to do spoilers but as this is in the comments section it shouldn't be a problem. ^.^

For California he pretty much stuck to San Francisco, the Napa Valley,Arcata and the town of Ukiah.He decided to pretty much skip LA and Hollywood because he decided there were enough things that already centered on them. I did find that he went on a little too much about Apple but he as a fanboy. He was pretty much happy with his time spent in these locales.

For Oregon he seemed to like the state but was a little disillusioned with the fascination with Bigfoot and the quasi militia found there.

For Washington Stephen adores Pike's Place Market (it is worth seeing) and the sea otters at the aquarium. In other words he stuck to Seattle and pretty much lapped it up.