Susan Ashcraft's Reviews > Come Home

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: firstread, mystery, fiction
Recommended for: everyone
Read from March 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

For many people family has nothing to do with blood ties, but has everything to do with love ties. The strong bonds that are made can seem to almost disappear but when there is no one left to turn to, those bonds will come to light, often thicker, stronger and tougher than in the past.

This is the story of Jill Morrow, a woman with a past that she feels has finally been put behind her. Her life is finally heading the way she had always hoped, she is engaged to be married to a fantastic man, her job as a pediatrician fulfills her and her daughter Megan is a happy, healthy and extremely busy, 13 year old .

Everything in Jill's life is suddenly upended when Abby, one of her ex stepdaughters' whom she has not heard from in 3 years, shows up at her door late at night. Drunk and almost incoherent Abby sobs "Jill, he's dead, dad's dead. Somebody killed him. Please, you have to help me find out who did it". With these words, Jill's new life and new-found happiness are about to be blown apart.

Lisa Scottoline has the uncanny ability to put into words many of the emotions, feelings and thoughts that (birth, adopted, step) mothers everywhere have experienced. However I found the mystery/suspense part to be rather bland and uninspiring, with no real surprises. Still the story was tight paced, the characters believable and I didn't want to put the book down.

(I received this ARC through GoodReads FirstReads)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Home.