Knitpurlgurl's Reviews > The Thirteen Hallows

The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott

Mar 07, 2012

Read from March 07 to 09, 2012

This is the story of the 13 hallows, their keepers, and the evil the hallows keep locked out of this world. A young woman, Sarah Miller, is thrust into a fight of good vs evil when she comes to the aid of an elderly woman who is mugged. When Sarah meets up with the woman's nephew, they embark on a harrowing journey as they simultaneously run from those who would kill them for the artifact they carry and try to unlock the secrets behind the hallows and their keepers.

Although I really liked the premise of this book and enjoyed the story, I did not enjoy the particularly gruesome details of the murders of the keepers. Because the murders were not ritualistic and the way they took place had nothing to do with the story, the details of the way the victims were murdered were superfluous. In my opinion, it's the murders that are what's important, not how they were murdered. Also, the description of the smell of urine, feces, and metallic blood gets redundant and predictable. To me, it's almost as if Scott writes in these details to remind the reader that this book is for an adult audience, not his typical YA audience.

Overall, the book kept me interested. The back story and history of the hallows was interesting and I almost wished the book would've focused primarily on that aspect as this is the first book in a series to come. I look forward to reading subsequent books and watching this story unfold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteen Hallows.