steph 's Reviews > The Rake

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, favorites, e-book
Recommended to steph by: everything I know about love I learned from romance novels
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy

THIS WAS FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC. I kept telling myself last night I would only read a little bit longer before going to bed but next thing I knew it was after midnight and I had read the whole book. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. I loved both Reggie and Alys. This story is about Alys, a 30-year old spinster working as a land manager at a country estate who has her own secrets and fears and desires she's keeping bottled up inside. And then there's Reggie, a wealthy commoner who was once in line to be duke but isn't anymore (some of the characters she introduced I knew were in other stories of hers and while they were a bit distracting with all the names, they only showed up twice so I was able to ignore them). Reggie's his cousin, the new duke, transferred ownership of Reggie's childhood home to him and did I mention it is also the estate where Alys works? And that Reggie is a alcoholic who has decided that he should stop? Yep Yep. I can see why this book got so many stars and reviews and why it is so highly known. I've never read a book in which an alcoholic is the hero and though there was one scene that made me cringe and was what ultimately the deciding factor between giving this book 4 or 5 stars (It was the scene in the library, I just didn't like it and it made my stomach sick), on the other hand, alcoholism is a dangerous and scary disease and this author portrayed it very realistically, especially for times. And then there is Alys, who is smart and strong and courageous but doesn't think any man will love her because she's unusually tall and has mismatched eyes and annoying dimples and ugh, I JUST REALLY LIKED HER.

So to make a long story short, GO READ THIS BOOK. It's worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rake.

04/03/2012
7.0% "I for this book from the novel "Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels" a few months back and I have to say, it looks like they aren't steering me wrong. I'm liking Reggie. And Alys (Alice) who is too tall with mismatched eyes and dimples."
04/03/2012
7.0% "* "I think that I got the rec for this book" (is what I meant to say up there)"
04/03/2012
31.0% "I AM FALLING IN LOVE WITH THESE CHARACTERS. FALLING IN LOVE WITH THEM AND I'M NOT EVEN 2/4 OF THE WAY THROUGH." 23 comments