Kerri Anne Stebbins's Reviews > What's Eating Gilbert Grape

What's Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read on March 07, 2012

This story was interesting. Endora, Iowa was (a little terrifying, yes, but) interesting. Gilbert himself was interesting, though I admittedly thought he was his most dynamic twenty pages before the book ends. I was ready to see him leave Endora. Ready to see what he'd look like outside of the small town seemingly suffocating him and the dysfunctional family chaining him there. But mostly I wanted more overall character development (I think I was more interested in Mr. Lamson-the lowly and kind grocery store owner being run out of business by the larger, uglier chain and its oversized lobster tank-than I was in any of the Grapes), and for Becky to be less statutory so maybe that storyline didn't make me want to perpetually call CPS.

[Three-point-five stars for a head I mostly didn't mind crawling into, dialogue that was engaging if not slightly unbelievable in places, and being the first book I can remember recently reading in one, multiple-hour sitting.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Eating Gilbert Grape.