Molly (Cafinated Reads)'s Reviews > At the Mercy of the Queen

Mar 07, 2012

Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Historical Fiction Book Tours
Recommended for: everyone
Read in February, 2012

I'm a HUGE fan of Historical fiction, especially those stories centered around the Tudor era and following Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, so I was super excited for the chance to review this new novel by Anne Clinard Barnhill. I am STILL reflecting on this novel! It was AWESOME! The book's plot line is finely tuned with rich Historical detail, the characters are chiseled perfect and the intensity of emotions that flow through the story is absolutely incredible. Instantly swept away to another place in time, I had a fascinating time reading this story!

A novel that is centered around the love of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, this story will leave you with a feeling of intensity. Not a fast paced read, but one that you will finish quickly. I say this because you become so engrossed in the story, and all the scandalous twists and turns, and the mysteriousness of the interwoven story lines, that you'll be on the last page before you realize it.

Lady Margaret Shelton, cousin and friend of the beautiful Queen Anne, is a truly wonderful character. I loved her addition to the story, as she fought between being forced into a marriage she didn't want, and wanting to be with the man who stole her heart...a man that was below her in status. Between the Lady Margaret's issues, and the troublesome woes of Queen Anne not being able to produce an heir for King Henry, this story took on a whole new meaning for me.

Anne turns to seduction and lies to capture the King's eye and passion once again, putting Lady Margaret in the middle of a scandalous situation, leaving her no choice but to be at pure mercy of the Queen. I felt the inner turmoils of both of these women when the lies began to unfold. It was truly an incredible feeling!

Definitely recommending this novel to anyone who loves the Tudor Court and the novels of the Queen. A fresh new approach to Anne and her Kind, this is most definitely a 5 Book worthy novel and one that will be forever on my Historical fiction book shelf! I can't wait for another novel like this from this amazingly talented author, so I can reflect on more of the depth filled history and the captivating characters! Well done, Ms. Barnhill!

This review originated at Reviews By Molly in part with a blog tour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Mercy of the Queen.