Christina's Reviews > The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption

The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant

Mar 07, 12

Read in March, 2012

This book is about Michael Vick, his involvement in dog fighting, and the charges he faced as a result. This is a very good and informative book, but also very graphic. As I read the first three chapters (which is the first 20 pages), I almost thought I could not finish the book. I am an animal lover, and at first I could not stand reading what the dogs experienced while under the care of Michael Vick. However, I kept reading..........

The first pages of the book is so graphic in nature because Jim Gorant is setting the tone for the rest of the book. As I continued to read the book, the book gets less graphic, but this did not alleviate my frustration and sadness...I was frustrated and sad because the dogs had to overcome so much once they were removed from Michael Vick's compound... The government decided not to put Michael Vick's dogs to sleep...the dogs were given a chance to live. We learn how the dogs dealt with people and other dogs as a result of the dog fighting. Because a good portion of the dogs improved mentally and/or physically, these dogs were placed in foster care and/or were adopted. Some dogs worked for law enforcement...Unfortunately, there were a few dogs who were put to sleep because they were too dangerous around people and/or dogs..There were a couple dogs who even died because they got hit by cars.

Definitely a recommended read...Regardless of how graphic this book is, Jim wants us to learn the realities of dog fighting. We learn that dogs used for dog fighting can learn to change for the better, even though it is not easy for the dogs to change for the better. Dogs definitely do persevere and give unconditional love no matter what their home experiences are. Dogs want love and companionship from both humans and other dogs. The graphic nature of this book makes me appreciate my pets even more!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Dogs.