Fallopia's Reviews > Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York

Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York by Gail Parent

Mar 25, 13

bookshelves: new-york-city
Recommended for: anyone who loves New York, hates New York, is nostalgic for the 70s, or hated the 70s
Read on December 26, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: too many times to count

"A few years ago, on Manhattan's East Side, a man set up a business where he sold diet shakes, delicious chocolate milk shakes having only seventy-seven calories. Well, I tell you: fat young girls came from near and far and lined up around the block at lunchtime. I was one of the ones who had two for lunch every day."

Well, the women began to suspect that the shakes weren't as lo-cal as the man claimed, so they went to some authority who determined the shakes had over two hundred and seventy calories. Sheila is crestfallen; "DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE A MAN LIES ABOUT CALORIES?" she demands.

Sheila is fed up; she is going to kill herself, and this book is her suicide note. Written in the early seventies, it's very dated, and yet still rings true; it can be both very funny at times, and extremely depressing. I first read it at the impressionable age of 13, and several times since; it has warped me beyond repair. (And no, I never got married, either.)

Sheila Levine is full of gems like, "People say New York is a jungle. It's not; it's a big jockstrap. It supports the men; look at the figures."

Incidentally, the author, Gail Parent, was one of the writers on the 70s TV series Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York.