Isamlq's Reviews > Dying to Know You

Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley
Read from March 07 to 08, 2012

The story is a simple one. It’s of one asking the help of another. And it’s the other finding inspiration again. But it’s also both of them finding a connection where none was expected. Yet as simple as those three things sound, things did get more and more dense with progression. The dialogue played a part in that. There’s much too much talking and describing and little happening. But I suspect those four and five star reviews on this one loved that aspect of it, it just wasn’t for me. A big consequence of that same thing is that I never truly felt invested in any of them.

Sure, the old man showed experience, maturity and a confidence that the other lacked. Sure, Karl showed that tentative trying but unsure thing I enjoy in young MC’s. And yes, a lot of the things tackled are touchy. And yes, even the tackling of those things was done in a sensitive but accurate manner. Yet in the end I can say it was an enlightening read but a touch too heavy on the internal ruminations that I never went into the mode of ‘what happens next?’

I say it got more dense as things progressed and I didn’t mind at first. Because then I got to see what made both of them tick. But knowing what made them tick and then feeling for them are two wholly separate things. And if you’ve noticed I’m more of a feelings kind of reader.

Perhaps this was just not for me.

Thanks Net galley
2.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying to Know You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza all the dialogue-spamming in the first couple of chapters really turned me off, so i never quite got around to reading this one. was it any better for you?

Isamlq Aleeza wrote: "all the dialogue-spamming in the first couple of chapters really turned me off, so i never quite got around to reading this one. was it any better for you?"

hi! it was the same all through out. I liked bits of it but it really isn't a "me" book.