Chris Lemmerman's Reviews > Justice Society of America, Vol. 9: Monument Point

Justice Society of America, Vol. 9 by Marc Guggenheim

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-comics-and-manga-read
Read from March 07 to 10, 2012

I was initially collecting the JSA title in single issues, and after reading Marc Guggenheim's first issue on the title, I dropped it like a rock. His first issue resulted in the death of one character, and the paralyzation of another, and the drastic changes were not to my liking. However, when I read the first collection of his run on the title, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would have.

The same is true for this second and last collection. There are some very good ideas here, and Guggenheim doesn't execute them badly for the most part. I was especially enjoying Jay Garrick's new role as the Mayor of Monument Point which gave the title a new feel and opened up lots of new story opportunities. I also liked the use of Per Degaton, and the cameo by the Challengers of the Unknown (who don't get enough to do these days). The story builds along nicely for the first three issues, but then the final issue feels rushed and incomplete, trying to end everything quickly and as a result the villain is underdeveloped beyond "He is evil" (he doesn't even get any lines!), a main character dies but there's no heart and soul in it, and Monument Point is destroyed once again, and no one seems to care. It's a huge drop in quality from the rest of the volume, and a damn shame, because it had the potential to be fantastic.

Tom Derenick is a good substitute for Scott Kolins and eases the transition from volume to volume in art style, though Jerry Ordway's style used for the final two issues is very different and can be quite jarring as a result. The 50th issue is also nicely put together, being used to start off the Secret of Monument Point storyline as well as celebrate the JSA through a few smaller stories also.

Whilst this is nowhere near the worst story the JSA have suffered through, it feels disappointing that this is how their long running series ended, when there was so much potential for something more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice Society of America, Vol. 9.

03/08/2012 page 42
29.0% "Surprised they didn't get Geoff Johns to write a story for the 50th issue."