Stacy Schmidt's Reviews > The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption

The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant

F 50x66
Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 07 to 09, 2012

I started reading this book because it was one of the few immediately available e-books from the library, and because it looked interesting. I was very pleasantly surprised by how engrossing it was. Although I would definitely describe myself as an animal lover, I think anyone who would not describe themselves as such would still enjoy this book. It is divided into three well-organized sections: Rescue, Reclamation, and Redemption.

The first section, Rescue, describes the events leading up to the discovery of the dogs, as well as the subsequent investigation and some description of the trial. As could be expected, this portion of the book could not be written without some disturbing background information about the dogs' lives prior to being rescued. However, the author did a good job of presenting those background events and showing the realities of the situation without dwelling unnecessarily on sad stories. The author also did a nice job interspersing some narratives from the point of view of the dogs (not something I normally would be a fan of, but it seems to work well for this book).

The second section, Reclamation, was also very interesting and informative. It gave an inside look into the very involved process of deciding what to do with the dogs, evaluating them, and helping them. It also provided a glimpse into the world of animal law, animal behaviorists, and other animal experts. It was amazing how many experts were involved in this part of the story.

The final section, Redemption, was very focused on the dogs and their outcomes. I wondered if the last section would be boring compared to the first two sections of the book, or if it would be overwhelmingly emotional. However, the author focused on a handful of dogs (apparently those whose foster homes and/or adopters agreed to tell their stories), and was able to tell some amazing stories. These stories of dogs that started their lives in a dogfighting operation ran the gamut from awe-inspiring accomplishments to bittersweet losses.

I would highly recommend this book, whether you are specifically interested in the Vick case, generally interested in animal welfare, or just looking for a good book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Dogs.