Alyssa Ricks's Reviews > If You Hear Her

If You Hear Her by Shiloh Walker

Mar 16, 12

Read from March 07 to 16, 2012

This review is really for the whole Ash Trilogy; I don't feel that the books stand alone. There is an overarching plot, the mystery/thirller part, that continues on through the whole trilogy and then each book has a separate couple as it's focus, however, all of the characters are heavily involved in all three books.

If You Hear Her - this installment focused on Lena and Ezra; she's a blind chef at the local inn and he's a state cop on leave after getting shot by his dirty partner (don't worry, she's dead). Not too long after Ezra comes to town Lena hears a woman screaming in the woods near her home, but the police aren't doing much about it. Ezra takes a special interest in Lena, they date, (view spoiler) and then the book just ends. I though my kindle accidentally jumped me or something and went back into the book to see where the ending was.

If You See Her - this installment focused on Hope and Remy; she's an old friend of Law's and has come to act as his assistant and stop running after 2 years on the move trying to make sure her abusive ex-husband can't find her and he's the local DA. Law and Hope are attacked and it's made to look as though Hope beat him with a baseball bat and then slit her wrists. The sheriff and Remy know something's not right, but they're prepared to arrest her anyway until evidence proves it wasn't her. After Law is threatened Hope grows a little back bone and isn't the cowering mouse she was when she first arrived in town. After Remy and Hope have been dating a while her ex shows up in town (view spoiler)

If You Know Her - focusing on Law, a close friend of Hope and Lena and major supporting character so far, and Nia, Joely's cousin, and wrapping up the trilogy. I have to say that I really liked Law and, though their chemistry worked, I didn't really like Nia; I'd have preferred someone else for him. Things start to unravel for the killer when Nia and Ezra, who is now sherrif, both know that something isn't right with pinning Joely's murder on Joe Carson and they discover evidence to the contrary. The killer's identity is finally revealed and I felt like Walker sort of tricked us (view spoiler)

Overall, I felt like things were wrapped up a little too quickly and that we'd need another book to see the final results/repercussions and the end of Nia and Law's story.

I'll probably try other works by this author, but they aren't on my auto-buy list.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Hear Her.

03/12/2012 "I've finished this book and If You See Her, the second book in the tirlogy, but I'm going to wait until I finish the third as the books don't really stand alone."

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it