Galla's Reviews > Discount Armageddon

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, made-me-laugh
Read in March, 2012

Don't let the cover turn you off--she doesn't like that outfit, either. This was surprisingly smart, funny urban fantasy. Think Men in Black but with species that evolved on Earth, not in other galaxies. McGuire takes the concept of being a cryptozoologist to imaginative extremes here. While quirky humor isn't everyone's thing, I enjoyed it, and I never felt like snarky one-liners were taking the place of a solid plot.

McGuire's tendency to relay details about the novel's world in parentheses was a bit troubling, especially since many of those parenthetical details were a good paragraph long. Too much of anything is a bad thing, and I'd be happy to go without seeing parentheses for a good week or two after this bender.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discount Armageddon.

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Parentheses? That seems like something that would be edited out.

Galla I thought so, too. While many of those sections would have required that transitions be smoothed out, some of the parentheses could have been removed with no disruption to the narrative flow at all.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina It must be a strong book to still earn 4 stars from you.

Have you read her other series? Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) by Mira Grant Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire

Galla I haven't, but I'm definitely more likely to check them out now. Looks like you're a fan of her zombie series? I'm sure my husband would love it if I vetted more zombie novels for him, LOL.

And yeah, I did think it was a strong book, though I do tend to rate books up when they genuinely make me laugh or surprise me in some way, and this book did some of both.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina I did like her zomobie series. It has alot of world building that I thought could have been edited out, I liked book 1 and loved book 2. The husband is a fan of zombies?

I haven't read her other series bc of the mixed reviews. I think I may look into this one though -- thanks for the review!

Disclosure -- I over use parentheses in my professional work, I have to consciously think about it. So I sympathize with her.

Galla The husband loves zombies, definitely. If an all-zombie premium cable channel existed, the husband would pay good money for it and Tivo the crap out of it. He'd probably even like it if zombies replaced everyone on CNBC; we might actually watch that channel then.

I'll be curious to see what you think of this one if you decide to read it!

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina Too funny.