Denae's Reviews > The Spirit Thief

The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, favorites
Read in April, 2012

Wow. So, I haven't had that much fun with a new book since Witches Inc., last year.
Characters. Not well-developed yet, but I can see how there's plenty of room for me to learn more about them in books to come. They are consistent, and the reader learns about them, just doesn't learn much. It's not a big enough book, though.
Beings. A good plethora, from spirits, Great Spirits, humans, wizards, ghosthounds, and demons (and whatever the Shepherdess is). I hope there will be a few more like the ghosthounds.
Magic. Very well done and very well defined, what a person could a could not do and how magical strength played into it. Also, I love the way some people abuse their power and how it's an ethical debate and the different factions and how Eli doesn't side with any of them.
Conflicts. Perfect. With Eli against the King, and the King's brother against the King, and the wizardess against Eli and the King's brother, then enemies of enemies become friends. :)
Pacing. Perfect. Everything happens within a few days, and characters keep acting all at the same time.
Ending. Perfect. Evil destroys the wicked, good character has problems, friend steps in to help, big bad magic goes against big good magic and I won't say more. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Margolin Tried to find Witches Inc. but can't seem to encounter a book with that name?

Denae Oh, it is by KE Mills, sequel to Accidental Sorceror in her Rogue Agent series. Quite fun, though now I'd be sure to also steer you toward any Brandon Sanderson book (utterly clever, fun, and brilliant). :)

Denae Ah, I should have said Witches Incorporated.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Margolin Sounds fun, thanks :)