Sheila's Reviews > Long Live The New Flesh: Year Two

Long Live The New Flesh by William Pauley III

2039269
Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, poetry, short-stories, suspense
Read in March, 2012

This series of haunting tales begins with the powerfully poetic and evocative metamorphosis of a rejected lover in D.A. Hernandez’ Chrysalis. Tales strange and mythical, thoroughly real and mystical, and always surprising, take the reader from Brazilian jungle, to Mars, to the pumpkin patch and beyond. Every secret has a cutting edge. And the slippery touch of wordplay is truly delightful.
Garret Clacaterra’s scary story, Robbie is probably my favorite. Like others , it leaves the haunting truth unsaid, taunting readers to almost see. Later, a truly gruesome dressing-up box in Lily Childs' short story tests the boundaries and succeeds admirably. Laura Eno’s Bits and Pieces will have me keeping my eyes wide open at the dentist. And Behind Every Successful Woman with its self-proclaimed sexism is almost as odd as Matthew Revert’s Homophobic Socks, and as thought-provoking too.
Probably not for the squeamish, this collection of really short short stories is squeamishly and endlessly fascinating, and had me trapped, unable to let go of my kindle.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy as a gift by one of the authors.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Live The New Flesh.