Lucy Smith's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Apr 08, 12

Read from March 07 to April 08, 2012

Enjoyable, but, what? If you want to pick up a book and dive directly into a different era and get up close and personal with a couple of characters then give this a go. I enjoyed the dialogue between Eli and Charlie and the brutal frontier atmosphere, but wasn't entirely sure of the point of the book. Maybe there's not meant to be one. Maybe there doesn't NEED to be one. Anyway, whether or not there's meant to be a point or not, it's a pretty absorbing story and I did enjoy it. I suppose if you had to analyse it, the book could be a commentary on the fragility and commonplace nature of life, the tragedy of individual loneliness in a dog-eat-dog society, and the ease of and sometimes black humour of death and dying. I ended up feeling quite sorry for Eli, as despite his violent outbursts and neutrality towards killing, he was a protagonist of quiet optimism who sometimes seemed quite fragile.

So - black humour, schadenfreuder and commuppance all abound in this book and it's very much worth a read as you are literally plunged into the tale and back out again at a fairly fast pace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.