Paula 's Reviews > A Lady by Midnight

A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, ng-edel-arc
Read from July 11 to 13, 2012

I always have the goofiest smiles on my face while reading one of Dare’s books. I adore her writing. She repeatedly writes beautiful and funny love stories that have seduced me with her alpha heroes and delightful heroines. While A Week to be Wicked is my favorite in the series, A Lady by Midnight is another wonderful installment to the Spindle Cove series.

Kate Taylor was orphaned as a child and has lived a lonely life until she found a home in Spindle Cove where she teaches piano lessons and has formed friendships with the quirky citizens of this little town. Living with a birthmark on her temple has made her insecure and feel unattractive her whole life. Even though she feels this way, she doesn’t let life get her down. Where Kate is charming and full of life, Thorne is a gruff and hard man.

Corporal Thorne has endured hardships in his childhood and in the military. Thorne is not what you see is what you get. He’s a man of many layers. He’s fiercely protective, brave, loyal and has a huge heart. He thinks he’s unworthy of being loved so he never lets himself get close to the one woman who holds his heart. When unexpected strangers show up in Kate’s life claiming they are her family, Thorne wants to protect her at all cost so he does the unthinkable and claims her as his betrothal. Can this strong willed man be able to keep his feelings at bay now that he has put himself in the position as Kate’s protector?

Kate is stubborn but so is Thorne. The flirtatious banter and witty dialogue is incredibly funny and sexy to read while Thorne is trying to resist being tempted by Kate. And Kate, the stubborn ray of sunshine she is, pokes and prods Thorne relentlessly until he waves the white flag and gives in to his heart's desire. When all that pent up desire is released, be ready to swoon because the passion is hot hot hot!

“He brushed firm kisses to the corner of her mouth, her jaw, the pounding pulse in her throat. Each Press of his lips was swift and strong. She could feel each kiss’s imprint linger like a fiery brand her skin. He was marking her with stamps of his approval.
Her passion-swelled mouth…Wanted
Her softly arching neck…Desired
The sweep of her cheekbone…Lovely
And last-the wine-splashed mark at ther temple…Sweet.”

Tessa Dare writes some of the most incredible and steamy sex scenes. Her writing is almost magic the way she heats up the pages.

My one gripe would be the story felt a little slow in the middle. I might be a bit stingy by saying I really wanted more of Kate and Thorne together and wanted the secondary characters to go away. (lol) But other than that one minor complaint, this is truly a splendid love story. I don’t hesitate to recommend this to anyone who loves a romance that will make you happy, make you cry, and jump for joy at the end.

B+

Arc kindly provided by Edelweiss

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady by Midnight.

07/12/2012
18.0% "OMG...she just used cuddles as an endearment for Thorne of all people...lol"