B.C.'s Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

Apr 18, 12

Read in April, 2012

I love Avatar, probably more than is healthy. We bought this because of the new series starting and because it said it was going to address what happened to Zuko's mom.

I got it and my wife and I both read it in about 20 minutes.

It started off real strong, but kind of fell short. The issue i have is with the characters. I don't think Aang would ever agree to kill anyone...ever. So the promise he made felt out of character. If they were going to press him into agreeing to that, then he should have been pressed much much harder. Secondly, Zuko's character fell into the same character traits of the TLAB, mainly not being able to make his own decisions. I also don't like that he got pushed around a lot. I know people would start to push back on him, thinking he's soft, but Zuko was the first to fight you for that. In this he just kind of took it...out of character for him.

The rest of the novel is just a bunch of cameos and one liners. The art was ok and the writing was choppy.

I will buy the others because I'm a fanboy, but this should really have remained in the hands of the creators.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.